KnorQ's Kitchen

Serial Hobbyist

Category: Before After

Yard update > mail box revamp

Oh man. The lawn around the mailbox was overrun with weeds – even the mailbox itself was starting to grow some green moldy stuff which happens in the PacificNW if you stand out in the rains for long enough.
20140513-122859.jpg

On Sunday I removed the lawn all together and planted some drought-tolerant plants instead. After doing some googling  I came up with the following plant combo – some borrowed from other parts of the yard, some purchased:   Tasmanian Tiger Euphorbia (I think), A random cistus that we bought off of some craigslist dude, 2 random sedums – I think one is ‘angelina’?, a Yucca ‘color guard’, Euphorbia Fire Glow and Lithodora diffusa ‘Grace Ward’ which reacted very badly to being transplanted and now looks like it is going to die. The mailbox was scrubbed and the yellow newspaper box was removed. Wha-la!
20140513-122933.jpg
20140513-123003.jpg
20140513-123012.jpg

Next steps are to fill in the area with weed blocker and river rock. Our yard is filled with river rocks and the rocks that are already in the bed above are the ones I dug out while digging holes in this area and removing sod. Geez.
20140513-123028.jpg

In other parts of the yard: I purchased a new Oregon Grape from Portland Nursery for under the left fir tree and I planted the vine maple in a pot from Winco ($19.99 for the pot – what a bargain!)
20140513-123046.jpg

The artmesia was intended for the mail box bed but I thought it was getting a little crowded. This pot is probably not the best spot for it but it will have to do for now. Promise to self: no new plants until fall and/or until the plants I already bought are planted. Sidenote: below is the fallout of getting other parts of the yard in order…there always has to be one area of chaos…right? Oh well..the yard is a work in progress.
20140513-123101.jpg

Other projects are in the works like crown molding. At last.
20140513-123115.jpg

Advertisements

New old chair

BEFORE HOROZ CHAIR copy

When Heather and Reb headed east to move to Northern Michigan (UP?) they gifted me this old cane chair. I liked the mustard yellow fabric and wood but the chair was a bit beat up and the fabric was starting to disintegrate. People in the DIY blog world have been rehabbing these chairs like crazy so there are tons of tutorials out there on how to give cane chairs a facelift. I listed the instructions I found the most helpful below. I found this project is much more manageable when you are pulling/inserting staples while watching Game of Thrones. Some of the staple work was a bit tedious but I’m happy to have a bright chair for the office and the total cost was about $14 for fabric and paint. The basement office project is one step closer to being done…alllllmmmost there.

Chair - you so bright, so happy and a little hoopty.

Chair – you so bright, so happy and a little hoopty.

Oh Brooke has this great cane chair tutorial

I really wanted matching welting on my chair so I followed Little Green Notebook’s instructions on how to make single and double welting

I also wanted to keep the tufted back so I reused the orgional button hardware and just glued new fabric around the old mustard velvet buttons. You can make new buttons pretty easily with a button kit and Addicted2Decorating has a pretty detailed post on how to go about the tufting process.